Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Looking for a Job in America


It has been four months and I am still trying to figure out what would my career be like in America. Being a stay at home wife for this short period of time has already enabled me to do business in the side by selling online and exporting a little branded goodies to the Philippines, and by writing web content for advertisers in the internet.

I have submitted my professional resume to over fifty companies that posted a hire online. I've been thinking why after all these months only two of those companies have called me for an interview? Was there something wrong with my resume? Do I need to revise my resume?

Here is the thing though, I am not really used to writing a very impressive resume since I was used to using the basic resume I created after graduating college. I was able to get myself a job in the Philippines using that resume and I stayed there for five years. In America, there is no consideration for a "pleasing personality" at all that a photo in your resume is not even necessary, at first I was confused why the online application prompted me to remove my photo. Here, it is fair and all companies would claim they are "equal opportunity employers" without regard to race, disability, and furthermore to "pleasing personality". So I woke up to the realization that the upfront competition in getting the job is primarily based on a very impressive resume.

I wanted to get noticed by prestigious companies around San Jose that I decided to create a resume that captured all of my acquired skills from my five years professional experience. Being a Sales Executive for two years, and a Marketing Manager for over three years, I covered some administrative jobs from clerical to customer service, accounting jobs from invoicing and generating accounting reports and other data using the accounting software Peach Tree, retail to corporate selling, market research and analysis, creating and closing contracts, heavy marketing presentations, massive advertising, conducting trade launches and events, creating and implementing consumer and dealer-directed promotional activities, to even creating designs for corporate giveaways. Five years of staying in the same company has enabled me to become even almost an expert in logistics and operations. I am confident that I got it, but I am just crossing my fingers that employers here would count the good professional experience I gathered in the Philippines.

I then searched for some free resume templates online and put some of its impressive structure and wordings altogether to create the general professional resume that I wanted. It is so convenient that you could actually find a lot of resume examples over the web with a wide variety of resume formats. There is even an online resume builder that you could conveniently use. I took advantage of these online resources and submitted my revised resume to companies hiring online and thus at last, the very first job interview that I would be attending is only six days away.

Here is another step that I would take, to research on the company and practice some interview Q & A's. I really have to make sure I don't ask the interviewer to repeat the question for me all because I don't get his accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment