Saturday, April 23, 2011

Driving in America

I was driving in the Philippines, and I was kind of confident to drive anywhere as they say: If you could drive in the Philippines, you could drive anywhere.

During my early days in America I was eager to get my driver license immediately so I could learn my way around the new place. Unfortunately, after three failed attempts and until now, I still don't have my driver license. The thing was, I wasn't allowed to get a driver license unless I have legal documents to show, like a green card or a work permit - whichever document comes first, so I waited for months and months until my work permit arrived two weeks ago. Now I am reviewing this California driver handbook and I have been practicing sample tests online. I want to get the permit on the first take, I really wanted to prove something, I WANT TO PROVE THAT I HAVE THE COMMON SENSE to answer a hundred situational driving questions haha!

This afternoon I was facing the handbook, with a flexible goal of finishing my review by 5 pm, but unfortunately I gave in to another book and dozed off. The plan is to take the test on Monday, cramming on play and I couldn't help it. This is how I usually do it to be honest. I don't know, I just feel I needed to take a nap, today is a lazy day for me. I should go on with my review...


There are just a few things that I need to get used to:

* Stop when there is a school bus with flashing red lights on your way. Failure to stop means a fine of $1,000.

* Speed limit of 65 mph (or not more than 70 mph) on freeway, 25 mph on residential areas.

* No parking in commercial areas.

* When changing lanes: check rear then side mirror, count to 5, glance back before changing lanes.

* Definitely no tailgaiting.

* Come to a full stop when there are signs (this is actually on almost every corner) to check for pedestrians.

* No honking unless needed.

In the Philippines, I was used to driving bumper to bumper - that is so far considered tailgaiting. I park in commercial areas, I actually park in NO PARKING areas. There is no speed limit, I can honk at any time I like, and I pass any vehicle not mindful of pavement signs. I did not practice the right of way religiously as it is believed to be the most common cause of collisions in the Philippines.

... and a lot more! I have to write it down on my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment