Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Thing About The Weather

There's not a day that I don't hear somebody care about the weather. It is always about the weather. Well, at least in California.

When I was new in America, I didn't think about the changing weather conditions. I didn't think that looking at the temperature or watching the weather channel was relevant. I thought that when its Winter, its winter all the way throughout that season, and so on and so forth. There was one time during spring last year, the weather was already setting at the low 90's, we were bound to attend a car auction at the Alameda and here comes Kara who put on a shorts and a shirt without thinking, I wasn't guilty because the sun has started to show up already, I had no clue. Alameda turned out to be 55 degrees, the cold was biting but I had no choice. I felt so stupid, everybody was staring at me with judgmental look on their faces. Well, what can I do? Weather was the least of my priorities you know! Unfortunately my husband didn't remind me of bringing a jacket, and I didn't think twice to mind why everybody is putting on a sweater. I guess I could just blame it all to stupidity.


One year after, here comes spring again, tricking everybody about its weirdness. I could say that this weird weather condition is brought about by the change of times to be honest. One day it was freaking hot, the next day you would want to put on your puffer vest. One day it is nice and warm, the next day it is windy and rainy.

For a boring person like me who is just work and home most of the time, the weather is the least that I care about. For most Californians however who believes that the cost of living in this golden state includes the price of a better weather, it just makes sense to care about it. It is not fun to have a cold and rainy weather on a weekend, especially when everyone is planning to have a barbeque in the park, play golf, or go surfing in Santa Cruz. Yes, I guess it is always about the weather. It could make or break your day. Errands or play, weather I guess matters.

I am glad that now I know how to check the weather. I would still go for whatever weather though, the cold is not that bad, the heat is not that bad, and the rain here that they term as "STORM" - is a big joke, its nothing like the rain in the Philippines where in minutes you would hear wild thunder and lightning and expect flood at the end of it. I guess that's why they say, BUT THIS IS CALIFORNIA?!!


No comments:

Post a Comment